Solutions are sought to eliminate illegal tapping of water connections
We provide drinking water to around 60,000 connections. The total pipeline length of the water network is 650kms, out of which potable water line is 600kms. In that 600kms, 50 kms line is the Rising Main which is a pressurized 24 X 7 line and the rest is under-gravity line. 70% of under-gravity line has intermittent supply, rest is 24 X 7. All pipelines are underground except the line inside installation (viz.- Water Treatment Plant, Elevated Service Reservoir etc). The diameter range of the pipes starts from 15mm (House Service Connection) to 900mm (Rising Main).
Material of construction (MOC) of the pipes:
For metallic pipes: CI, DI, MS & GI
For Non-Metallic pipes: HDPE & PPR
Hume Steel pipe is also present in some parts (<10>
These water connections are metered & a monthly bill is generated for the water consumed by the customer. However, in certain areas, water is tapped illegally from the nearby main pipelines. The pipes are tapped in a very crude manner and thereby create a huge water leakage and these points become a source of contamination. In addition, rapid urbanization and population growth has led to vertical growth and this results further in the increase in demand per connection. This increased demand is again fulfilled by drawing water using unauthorized installation of pumps. These situations have created water scarcity in the downstream legal connections resulting in water scarcity.
Following are the challenges which arise due to illegal tapping:
• Loss of revenue (Non-Revenue Water (NRW)) due to huge number of unauthorized water tapping
• Water contamination
• Water scarcity
• Huge water Loss
We are thus, looking for an optimal solution to eliminate illegal tapping of water connections in the drinking water line network.
Options tried to solve before:
• A dedicated disconnection team has been formed to disconnect illegal tappings. It is not successful as it is reconnected again.
• The cost per water connection is reduced significantly & major portion of illegal connections have been converted into legal metered connections.
The solution MUST fulfil the following requirements:
• 100 % service coverage to avoid illegal tapping
• Reduction of loss (NRW)
• No contamination
• Instant alert to authorities in case of illegal tapping
• Vandal proof solution
• Easy to install
• Non-invasive mechanism which does not require drilling